Department Mission and Objectives
The Rutgers-Newark Department of Social Work prepares students to become BSW level generalist professionals to carry out the mandates of the social work profession with a diversity of client systems and with the most vulnerable members of society. With a focus on the urban environment, the program seeks to develop a cadre of competent generalist practitioners who:
• Have a passion and a calling for the profession.
• Understand and adhere to social work ethics and values.
• Exhibit respect for diversity, demonstrate cultural awareness and competency.
• Advocate for social and economic justice.
• Contribute to and influence policy and research.
• Engage in lifelong learning.